Anyone else crack their jaw?

• i just got out of the habit of purposely cracking my jaw but now i'm doing it again :evil: i need to stop. has anyone had any serious injury from cracking their jaw? i'm mostly worried about possibly dislocating it.

• Been doing it for probably 5 years now. Never any problems. I think the thing you mostly would want to be worried about is that you're not stretching or straining any muscles or any other tissue in the process of attempting the crack. Whether there are any long-term implications has yet to be seen, and I don't think dislocation is even in the realm of possibility of what could happen as a consequence.

• Been jaw cracking for about 18 years. Trying to stop now (a test of willpower!), no adverse affects. G*d it's annoying when it won't go. 8O

• I have been cracking my jaw since I was 4. I am now 22 and have never had any discomfort or pain. I have never met another person EVER who can crack their jaw! Kinda the reason I came to this site.

• @carpal:

i just got out of the habit of purposely cracking my jaw but now i'm doing it again :evil: i need to stop. has anyone had any serious injury from cracking their jaw? i'm mostly worried about possibly dislocating it.

I used to do this compulsively all through highschool. It was a hard habit to break, but I doubt it did any damage.

• Yeah, I can crack my jaw as well, my orthodontist says it is probably a form of TMJ but it wont really have any negative affects. 🙂

• I used to be able to crack my jaw by gently biting down on a pencil, but it no longer works for me. I think it is a result of losing certain teeth and now that I have no teeth at all except for my dentures cracking my jaw is probably lost as a fond memory. I can still make noise rubbing tendons against cartledge, but it's not the same. Now all that's left is the ability to crack it mentally. I suppose that I can say that I crack my brain. In certain circles that might be construed in a not so positive light. 😉

• Im a teenager and I've been able to crack my jaw for as long as I can remember. Whenever I asked someone else if they can do it, they have just looked at me wondering what the heck I am saying. That's why I came here. Seems like you guys have not had problems, but I have developed a lump in my throat. Any ideas if they are related? I would appreciate your feedback.