My wrist is killing me…

• about a month ago i was cracking my knuckles (usually the only joints i crack) against my face, and i was surprised that it made my wrists crack! ever since then i've been manipulating them like that and they sing to me.

however, i feel like it's a bad obsession now, particularly with my left wrist. it will crack several times in just a few minutes if i bend it a certain way. the problem is, i think i'm over-cracking. it often hurts, a stinging deep pain. i know i should leave it alone but instead? i just make it crack more. it actually makes me shudder because the cracks are so loud and harsh. but i can't stop doing it! it's like a drug. i feel like i'm abusing my wrist though - should i be concerned about the pain?

• @carpal:

about a month ago i was cracking my knuckles (usually the only joints i crack) against my face, and i was surprised that it made my wrists crack! ever since then i've been manipulating them like that and they sing to me.

however, i feel like it's a bad obsession now, particularly with my left wrist. it will crack several times in just a few minutes if i bend it a certain way. the problem is, i think i'm over-cracking. it often hurts, a stinging deep pain. i know i should leave it alone but instead? i just make it crack more. it actually makes me shudder because the cracks are so loud and harsh. but i can't stop doing it! it's like a drug. i feel like i'm abusing my wrist though - should i be concerned about the pain?

I would say you should if it only does it because of the cracking.

• you mean you twist your wrist forward then back?
    i've done that before, it stings like h**l!!!

• Hey there, i've been poping my wrist ever since i was 10 🙂 its quite addictive actually.. the method used for poping my wrist is similar to my fingers 🙂 simply press it down until it pops!!… such an addictive feeling

• @Anklecracker:

Hey there, i've been poping my wrist ever since i was 10 🙂 its quite addictive actually.. the method used for poping my wrist is similar to my fingers 🙂 simply press it down until it pops!!… such an addictive feeling

I try to do that, but it always feels like I'm going to hurt my wrists. 🙂

• @Anklecracker:

Hey there, i've been poping my wrist ever since i was 10 🙂 its quite addictive actually.. the method used for poping my wrist is similar to my fingers 🙂 simply press it down until it pops!!… such an addictive feeling

ouch!!!!

• @carpal:

about a month ago i was cracking my knuckles (usually the only joints i crack) against my face, and i was surprised that it made my wrists crack! ever since then i've been manipulating them like that and they sing to me.

I'm no expert, but pain is indication that you are hurting yourself. I also had pain from wrist cracking, and devised an alternate method. First I need to describe wrist anatomy as best I can for the purpose of hand placement. At the base of your palm just above the wrist joint (above=closer to fingers), extended down from the thumb and pinky there are two prominent bony protrusions. On the back of the hand, just below the wrist (below=towards elbow) there are also two prominent bony protrusions. Let's just say the wrist joint is mostly inbetween these. Even if I'm not 100% right, that's good enough for what I'm about to explain…

So one method is to hold your left wrist (palm down) inbetween these bones with your right index-finger on the palm-side and thumb on the back side, and create an expansion of the joint from the compression pressure of your right hand. Then you only need to bend your left wrist forward and backwards a tiny amount - maybe 20 degrees forward and back to get a pop. Work it... don't expect it to crack the first time.

It may help to put the right index finger directly on the palm-side bony protrusion that extends down from the pinky (just above the wrist). Similarly, you might put the right thumb directly on bony protrusion on the back of your wrist below your left thumb (just below the wrist). In this manner, you may be twisting your ulna and radius, and by resisting this twist with your left hand, you can also achieve a pop. Experiment.

Another alternative is to do just as I said above... with the compression... and work the wrist forward and back with like a massaging action... to loosen up the wrist. Then crack your wrist as normal with hyperextension, but it will crack easier because you've loosened it up first.

Or use a combination of the two techniques, but never hyperextending too much, working the joint until it pops easily without too much hyperextension. The key is to loosen the wrist until it pops easily.

I do similar things with other joints. Rather than forcing a pop on the first try, I work the joints to loosen them up so I can crack without hyperextending them as much.

Regards,
    HypnoSnoopy

• my wrist has started to ache very badly. it also feels like the tendons/ligaments whatever are itchy. it has to be related to my cracking, it's driving me crazy. but i'm going to try to stop because i'm worried about how much more damage i could do, if this is only a month into it. i wish i had a cast or something to lock my wrist in place! it's going to be very difficult not to force that crack, it feels so good… but it causes a lot of pain at the same time. too bad 😞

• I have also been cracking my wrist for a long time now…I find quite relaxing. But if you think that the pain and the stinging is out of the ordinary, then try to consult a doctor...

• Oooo I just saw this one.

I wouldn't worry about the cracking as much as I would the over-stretching. I am not of the opinion that the cracking itself causes damage. However, if you bend and bend anything too hard, you can make it sore. Eventually you get more flexibly and ti doesn't hurt anymore.

Also, you are probably cracking so much because you are thinking about it alot. I find that when I stop worrying about it, I stop thinking about it and crack less.

I now get two or three REALLY loud ones in the morning (love that) and 2 or 3 throughout the day. Never hurts anymore.

Ahh I love cracking my wrists.

• I'm jealous that you can crack your wrists so often!!!

Cracking my wrists has been a new development for me too, although, it's been at least a year since I've started. I bend my wrists towards me rather than away to get them to crack and I can only do this…twice a week if I get lucky. The first time I did it, it was definitely a shock. I can only do it twice a week because that's all that they will allow, I try to do it more but I won't get anything (I kinda hate that!)

If it is causing pain, I would definitely slow it down a bit or, as Danielle said, you might just be stretching too much. Mine sort of hurt when I crack them too but, it's a good hurt. Kind of sends a shock wave of stretchiness and awesomey cracky goodness through my muscles and my wrist.

• hey guys, thanks for all the replies. half a year later and i'm still cracking my wrists, especially the left one. i stopped for about a month completely, then started up again because i can't crack my jaw anymore - so now i'm just doing knuckles and my wrists exclusively… my wrists have been getting more attention just because they do it so frequently, i can't believe it... although i can't crack them in public because the way i manipulate them looks kind of weird, unlike my knuckles, haha.

the thing is, my knuckles NEVER hurt when i crack, i figure because i've been doing it so long. i still get that stinging pain but it's easier to handle now... and in a weird way i like it (like tinnamariee said)?! anyway, yeah, just an update.

• stop moaning you dont have it as bad as me

• ignore him! dont even think about responding…

• @Danielle:

ignore him! dont even think about responding…

please… you have no idea the suffering this one event has had on my life... dont you dare judge me or put my problem on a scale... do you want me to give you the details of my therapist so you can see just how serious my problem is?

• Is this forum moderated? If so, I'm surprised that a moderator or admin hasn't stepped in because dj100 keeps putting this guy's name out there, even going as far as posting links to his Facebook page in another thread.

Without proof of the supposed incident, I can't see how this could be anything but harassment and slander. I'm shocked that the people behind this site would allow it.

• @PlaidRetina:

Is this forum moderated? If so, I'm surprised that a moderator or admin hasn't stepped in because dj100 keeps putting this guy's name out there, even going as far as posting links to his Facebook page in another thread.

Without proof of the supposed incident, I can't see how this could be anything but harassment and slander. I'm shocked that the people behind this site would allow it.

uhh are you talking about me? or someone else? i don't have a facebook… and i'm a girl. :?

• @carpal:

uhh are you talking about me?

No.

@carpal:

or someone else?

Yes. Read my post again.