Neck Cracking

• I crack my ankles, knees, back, hands, fingers, neck, elbows, etc…..i noticed that after long runs(ie 10 miles) the cracking is incredible....better feeling than s*x! One area of my body that has the most amazing cracks is my neck....not sure if you can relate to this but it sometimes crack in multiple places at once and its like HEAVEN....maybe this is my version of a multiple o****m......lol.....well, in last 2 months ive been trying to avoid cracking my neck since I dont think its good, esp since it has gone "out" in the past......trying to stop is very hard but im getting the hang of it and now just try to let it crack naturally without forcing.....of course if Im anxious or stressed, the need to crack is really intense.....another area that i stopped cracking is my knees....i noticed that last summer I had major knee pain and once I stopped cracking it got better.......anyway, my mother started telling me not to crack my nexk when i was a teenager and guess what, whenever i see her(im now 44), she is still telling me not to crack!

• Community Lead

@Mhillqt:

well, in last 2 months ive been trying to avoid cracking my neck since I dont think its good, esp since it has gone "out" in the past…...

What do you mean by the neck has gone out? Did you dislocate the neck joints by cracking? Ouch. 😞

I also crack my neck quite often. Usually in combination with my shoulder joints.
    @Mhillqt:

i noticed that after long runs(ie 10 miles) the cracking is incredible.

It is quite the opposite for me. After a long run, my desire to crack my joints is rather low. I always figured this was because I had just given most of my joints a good exercise.

• no i am the same after a run or weights - i can really let out some great neck cracks!!

i def enjoy cracking my neck the most - i have also tried and failed many times to stop because i do worry about my neck.

does anyone else when they just roll their neck around hear REALLY loud grating sounds. its kinda scary!!

• sorry , meant after long walks or workouts my neck cracks really well, after long runs dont have need to crack…..my neck has suffered pinched nerves in the past when it was more subluxated but now not as often......cracking is really a great release....its like a drug!

• Can you explain exactly what a pinched nerve is, sounds painful. Did you get your pinched nerve by cracking your neck?

• A pinched nerve is a nerve that gets stuck between against a vertebrae in the spine…normally these nerves stick out freely between the vertebrae instead of being trapped against them.....cracking my neck use to make my neck more susceptible to having a pinched nerve....

• Yes when i roll around my neck - i hear cracks and i hate having to do that as a warm-up exercise before i play squash because i feel i am doing more damage.

I don't know what s*x is like as i am underage lol and a law abiding citizen :lol: but it seems that the people who can crack their necks well get a great sense of relief. However they are also the ones who need to do it more.

Also stress seems to be a factor in jointcracking.

• Oh I love when my neck cracks but I can't get it to do it all the time… I actually want to know the proper technique for it so I don't actually damage it when I'm doing it. My neck is soooo stiff right now and I haven't been able to get to crack in days. =/ And are there other ways of releasing tension w/o cracking?
    But yeah, I understand the o****m feeling when the neck cracks... it's like, the second best thing to one. L**O.

• @AquaLiz:

Oh I love when my neck cracks but I can't get it to do it all the time… I actually want to know the proper technique for it so I don't actually damage it when I'm doing it. My neck is soooo stiff right now and I haven't been able to get to crack in days. =/ And are there other ways of releasing tension w/o cracking?
    But yeah, I understand the o****m feeling when the neck cracks... it's like, the second best thing to one. L**O.

I guess, the way i crack my neck is just start turning your head to the side.

• Me too, but it doesn't always work. It's okay, I FINALLY got it to go a few hours ago. lol.
    I just wish it would do it all the time but I don't want to do too much more than what I already do b/c I'm afraid I'll hurt it if I do it wrong.

• b/c?

or maybe use your hands to turn it to the side

all joint cracking is dangerous