Is the amount of cracking i do normal?

• Been cracking my knuckles and neck for about a year, I think it started by accident when I bent back on my chair and ever since I've been pretty much addicted to it. But it feels liike I'm cracking "too much", especially in my back and neck. I can sit for literally about 2-3min (doing hw, absorbed in the pc) at my table and my neck and back can still crunch. For my neck, I usually crack it by straightening my neck back up to a stiiff 90 degrees (I have a long neck, so it's usually angled at 60 degrees). The sounds are little crunches. For my back it's similar, though it takes longer for it to crack again.

Sometimes if my chest has been at ease or curved for a while, the sternum pops. Same for when I walk around the house (my knees and hips sometimes pop). I can also crack my shoulders when I make a 90 angle with my arm and do the "canoeing windmill" motion (I can continue cracking it for as long as I want, but havent really gone more than 2 minutes)

Are these amount of cracks pretty normal/of no concern? If it helps to clarify anything, I'm pretty skinny (6 ft, ~140) and double jointed in my thumbs

• @jsw1188:

Been cracking my knuckles and neck for about a year, I think it started by accident when I bent back on my chair and ever since I've been pretty much addicted to it. But it feels liike I'm cracking "too much", especially in my back and neck. I can sit for literally about 2-3min (doing hw, absorbed in the pc) at my table and my neck and back can still crunch. For my neck, I usually crack it by straightening my neck back up to a stiiff 90 degrees (I have a long neck, so it's usually angled at 60 degrees). The sounds are little crunches. For my back it's similar, though it takes longer for it to crack again.

Sometimes if my chest has been at ease or curved for a while, the sternum pops. Same for when I walk around the house (my knees and hips sometimes pop). I can also crack my shoulders when I make a 90 angle with my arm and do the "canoeing windmill" motion (I can continue cracking it for as long as I want, but havent really gone more than 2 minutes)

Are these amount of cracks pretty normal/of no concern? If it helps to clarify anything, I'm pretty skinny (6 ft, ~140) and double jointed in my thumbs

don't you have a period after you crack where you can't crack for half a minute or so?

• Called a refractory period.

Your shoulder cracking sounds like the small cracks not the big ones after a long time of not cracking them.

• @Blaze:

Called a refractory period.

Your shoulder cracking sounds like the small cracks not the big ones after a long time of not cracking them.

refractory period - thats it!

• Yep - not too hard to remember.

• haha my memory is awful.
    refractory period - well i got that without looking so my very short term memory is good lol

• Your definition thread?