Neck Cracks (muscle-related or no?)

• Hey guys, I have been having a neck cracking issue for a couple years now, I can argue about 2-3 years since. I can crack my neck if I motion my neck upward to the north-west direction (sometimes to my right as well). Sometimes when I turn my beck a bit to the left it cracks too. I am not sure exactly what's been happening to me, but there is no pain really throughout the days but as I lay in bed at night to sleep it sometimes brings discomfort to one side so I switch sides (I usually sleep on my sides all my life so far).

Background info on me if this helps:
    – 19 year old college male student
    -- Because of computer time, I guess I got a minor hunch in my back to neck posture, but it isn't that serious or visible for most people except my family seeing it.
    -- Trouble with neck/neck muscles from interior of neck
    -- I sit on the computer a large portion of my time (could be a big reason?)
    -- Have not visited any medical professionals yet, since it didn't bug me up until now with tougher sleep methods
    -- Tried stretching exercises but I am not sure if it helped really

Can someone diagnose for me? I don't know if it's a serious health problem but I would like to know how to fix up my neck problems. Thanks!

-- Ron

• @ronjon:

Hey guys, I have been having a neck cracking issue for a couple years now, I can argue about 2-3 years since. I can crack my neck if I motion my neck upward to the north-west direction (sometimes to my right as well). Sometimes when I turn my beck a bit to the left it cracks too. I am not sure exactly what's been happening to me, but there is no pain really throughout the days but as I lay in bed at night to sleep it sometimes brings discomfort to one side so I switch sides (I usually sleep on my sides all my life so far).

Background info on me if this helps:
    – 19 year old college male student
    -- Because of computer time, I guess I got a minor hunch in my back to neck posture, but it isn't that serious or visible for most people except my family seeing it.
    -- Trouble with neck/neck muscles from interior of neck
    -- I sit on the computer a large portion of my time (could be a big reason?)
    -- Have not visited any medical professionals yet, since it didn't bug me up until now with tougher sleep methods
    -- Tried stretching exercises but I am not sure if it helped really

Can someone diagnose for me? I don't know if it's a serious health problem but I would like to know how to fix up my neck problems. Thanks!

-- Ron

Hi Ron welcome To the forum!

Firstly I'm fascinated to speak to you as you seem to have exactly the same problem as me. I have some questions I hope you can help me with:

1. Does your neck often click involuntarily? Mine does and it's annoying.

2. Can you think of any sort of injury , car crash, assault etc that could have triggered your neck clicking? Mine started after I was punched in the back of the neck at school for no reason.

3. Do you exercise? I don't normally but if I do I get really rewarding cracks in not only my neck but also my back.

4. I recommend you see a GP to ask what they can recommend. They might recommend a physio or chiropractor. I've been to a chiropractor before but it's about £25 a session. The cracks they do are really relieving though.

• Thanks for the response!

I have recently developed a case of muscle fatigue in the back of my neck from out of nowhere and even now I am not sure where it came from. I have been in a quite healthy food cycle and see no issues anywhere except the neck and upper cervicals.

Well it seemed to be based off a number of things I guess. I don't have a car so technically I never had any backlashes or serious accidents/incidents.

I do get the cracking but only voluntarily, like if I decide to stretch it all the way left and right, but they don't cause too much discomfort at all it's only a natural process I guess as part of being an adolescent with my postural issue.

I'm sorry you got punched in the back for no reason; my back neck seems to have the most concern though. I went to a Primary Pediatric doctor (blood results came back all normal no problems), then went to an Orthopedic (no problems with x-ray whatsoever so it confuses me, but due to anxiety the posture got stressed more), and i just visited a Physical therapist (said that I had posture to work on, but mainly there are no problems with hand-eye coordination or muscle tension except the weakness/fatigue of back neck muscles which needs to strengthen..

My biggest concern right now is that while I may seem normal in all my data and reports, the problem lies with my occipital area. Perhaps since the back neck area got fatigued, my eyesight got hindered because while my vision seems perfect still, whenever I move my head left or right it causes a slight "shaky" feeling so that is what I am worried about now. My PT recommended for the vision issue to go visit an Optometrist though.

If you have any concerns with vision, check with eye doctors to see if vision changed in the process. Also, for neck and muscles, maybe you can try relaxers to see what effect it has on you, since for many people it has little to no effect including myself. In the end, my next step is planning to visit PT and practice exercising there, then follow up with maybe a visit to a Neurologist to handle spinal coordination just in case my upper-cervical area got affected somehow.

– Ron

• @ronjon:

Thanks for the response!

I have recently developed a case of muscle fatigue in the back of my neck from out of nowhere and even now I am not sure where it came from. I have been in a quite healthy food cycle and see no issues anywhere except the neck and upper cervicals.

Well it seemed to be based off a number of things I guess. I don't have a car so technically I never had any backlashes or serious accidents/incidents.

I do get the cracking but only voluntarily, like if I decide to stretch it all the way left and right, but they don't cause too much discomfort at all it's only a natural process I guess as part of being an adolescent with my postural issue.

I'm sorry you got punched in the back for no reason; my back neck seems to have the most concern though. I went to a Primary Pediatric doctor (blood results came back all normal no problems), then went to an Orthopedic (no problems with x-ray whatsoever so it confuses me, but due to anxiety the posture got stressed more), and i just visited a Physical therapist (said that I had posture to work on, but mainly there are no problems with hand-eye coordination or muscle tension except the weakness/fatigue of back neck muscles which needs to strengthen..

My biggest concern right now is that while I may seem normal in all my data and reports, the problem lies with my occipital area. Perhaps since the back neck area got fatigued, my eyesight got hindered because while my vision seems perfect still, whenever I move my head left or right it causes a slight "shaky" feeling so that is what I am worried about now. My PT recommended for the vision issue to go visit an Optometrist though.

If you have any concerns with vision, check with eye doctors to see if vision changed in the process. Also, for neck and muscles, maybe you can try relaxers to see what effect it has on you, since for many people it has little to no effect including myself. In the end, my next step is planning to visit PT and practice exercising there, then follow up with maybe a visit to a Neurologist to handle spinal coordination just in case my upper-cervical area got affected somehow.

– Ron

Thanks for your reply.

That seems worrying if your vision is being affected - did you always used to have normal vision? I'm lucky that my vision is fine at the moment.

I know what you mean about Physios - I have been to one here in England and he also recommended me to improve my posture and gave me some exercises to do.

I think we have a "need" to crack our joints to release tension.

What happens when you wake up in the morning or the middle of the night? I find my urge to crack my neck and back is worst at these times.

Good luck with your treatment 🙂

• You spend too much time online and its going to give you forward head posture which is hard to correct! I know because I am a illustrator and it has happened to me. It sucks but you are young and can reverse it before you look like a freaky old man!!! Do upper back workouts ,lay in the floor and sleep without pillows. I hope this helps. Also I agree with the other sif you can see a chiropractor thatw ould help maybe he can pop it out.