New Crack

I discovered a new crack the other day in a place I didn't even know it was possible to crack! :oops:

It's some kind of bone in the hand, and you crack it by gripping your right hand with your left so your thumb rests against the bony protrusion above your wrist furthest away from the body.

The rest of the hand 'cups' the right hand so the fingers are perpendicular lying across the top of the hand.

You then kind of tense the side of the hand whilst pushing with your left thumb and lifting the wrist, making a loud click in the hand that can be repeated over and over.

It doesn't hurt, but then it doesn't feel great either, so I was just curious about people's thoughts on this.

• I used to do that… I haven't done it in a while though... It did feel quite good.

• Any type of crack that can be repeated isn't actually a crack. Real joint cracks happen when pockets of air in between your joins escape, but what is happing to you is just the joints rubbing against each other.

• @MrSnazzyPanda:

Any type of crack that can be repeated isn't actually a crack. Real joint cracks happen when pockets of air in between your joins escape, but what is happing to you is just the joints rubbing against each other.

Agreed. I've always thought a "crack" or "pop" is something that can only happen once (or a few times if different parts of the same joint are being cracked - for example a single knuckle could get 5 cracks at a time by pushing down, pulling backwards, pulling up, pushing left, and pushing right). Then there needs to be a little time for the knuckle to "refresh" (i.e. more gas to build up) before it can be cracked/popped again.

To me if you can make the noise repeatedly, it's simply a click. I have a few of them, and they just make noise over and over but I never get any feeling of relief from the little motion they make. One in my lower back is quite aggravating. A click is like a wannabe crack 😉

• I agree. There needs to be established criteria of what constitutes a crack vs just making noise and those found to be in violation of the established criteria should immediately be boiled in 8 month old yak urine in public, slapped daily and twice on Sunday.

Maybe I'm over reacting just a tad ..