Pressure feeling

• Community Lead

Today, I felt the uncomfortable pressure buildup in my knees, ankles and toes very strongly again.

The more I think about OCDs and other psychosomatic disorders, the less I understand how they can make you feel real pressure like this.

I don't yet believe I am making this all up by sheer wicked brain power.

When I felt the pressure today I was at a rather low stress setting. But I did eat something shortly before which I might have had an allergic reaction to? :roll:

There has to be some real bodily explanation for that pressure feeling build up so many of us experience.

It isn't just a tick like nail biting.

• Community Lead

A couple of thoughts I'd like to add to this before I sign off for today:

Can you generate pressure feeling in a new joint by learning how to crack that joint and keep cracking it for a while?

This would be an interesting find. If true, it means one of the following:

• the pressure feeling is imagined and a sign of a new addiction in cracking the learned new joint
    • by cracking the joint it gets looser and thus more suspectible or sensitive to pressure build-up

If false, it can only mean that either a joint is sick or it is not. You cannot make it sick by tick-like behavior.

Why is it the pressure is felt more stronlgy in some joints than others? Why is it the most afflicted joint can vary over the days? Today I felt annoyed by my bent knee joints again which I have not felt for quite a while. Then again I had little desire to crack my spine today compared to most other days.

• @JointCracker:

A couple of thoughts I'd like to add to this before I sign off for today:

Can you generate pressure feeling in a new joint by learning how to crack that joint and keep cracking it for a while?

This would be an interesting find. If true, it means one of the following:

• the pressure feeling is imagined and a sign of a new addiction in cracking the learned new joint
    • by cracking the joint it gets looser and thus more suspectible or sensitive to pressure build-up

If false, it can only mean that either a joint is sick or it is not. You cannot make it sick by tick-like behavior.

Why is it the pressure is felt more stronlgy in some joints than others? Why is it the most afflicted joint can vary over the days? Today I felt annoyed by my bent knee joints again which I have not felt for quite a while. Then again I had little desire to crack my spine today compared to most other days.

Maybe it could mean that once the joint is cracked, pressure builds in yer' fluids or something.

Um…

Crystals!

The wonders of psuedo-science. 😄

• Community Lead

Yes, but why?

It is a fair assumption a joint feels a little different shortly after it has been cracked.

Maybe when you crack a joint very often you get so used to this different state that you can reach a point where you consider the 'normal' state as anormal.

Thus the desire to go back to the falsely established normal state by constantly clicking the joint. :roll:

• Yeh I think that this is the case but I also do not think it is highly addictive.

I find that I only feel the pressure to click my joints when I am board, when I am trying all my will power not to or when I have just previosly popped

In the summer I work as an abseil instructor which is tiring work and never boring and during that time I NEVER feel the urge.

The only reason I think that people find it so hard to stop is that it is so easy to do, more than any other addiction. Alcohol, Smoking etc. you have to go out and get cigerettes or a drink whereas for us all it requires is a flick of the wrist, neck, ankle etc. and it is done.

Also for me sometimes I just crack without activly thinking to, like when you start whistling without noticing that you started.

These are just some of my experiences but I hope they are useful

• Community Lead

There is evidence suggesting that the pressure feeling I so far thought I feel in my joints are actually "just" tense / instable liagments / muscles directly adjoining the respective joints.

By this logic when relieving the pressure feeling, in reality you only have relaxed the tensed up liagments with the joint popping being merely a side effect.

• @JointCracker:

Yes, but why?

It is a fair assumption a joint feels a little different shortly after it has been cracked.

Maybe when you crack a joint very often you get so used to this different state that you can reach a point where you consider the 'normal' state as anormal.

Thus the desire to go back to the falsely established normal state by constantly clicking the joint. :roll:

I think that is a good point JC about the abnormal state and i reckon that there is probably quite a lot of truth in that. If so, however, will our joints ever get back to that normal state? or will we forever feel the need to release all the time?

• @JointCracker:

Today, I felt the uncomfortable pressure buildup in my knees, ankles and toes very strongly again.

The more I think about OCDs and other psychosomatic disorders, the less I understand how they can make you feel real pressure like this.

When I felt the pressure today I was at a rather low stress setting. But I did eat something shortly before which I might have had an allergic reaction to? :roll:

There has to be some real bodily explanation for that pressure feeling build up so many of us experience.

maybe you did lots of exercise etc?

• Or stayed in the same position for a long time.

• yeah good point blaze

• Or overworked something.

• @JointCracker:

Any time I eat dairy, of any kind, in the afternoon or evening, I regret it. I sit there in bed for hours with the uncontrollable NEED to crack my ankles, feet, and toes. Sometimes advil will help, sometimes not. I don't know why this is a problem, but it's annoying as h**l.

• Community Lead

@twid:

Any time I eat dairy, of any kind, in the afternoon or evening, I regret it. I sit there in bed for hours with the uncontrollable NEED to crack my ankles, feet, and toes. Sometimes advil will help, sometimes not. I don't know why this is a problem, but it's annoying as h**l.

twid, very interesting, let's continue discussion on allergies as a cause for joint cracking pressure.