Hypermobility versus clinical instability

• Community Lead

This info was dissected from the article from The SpineCare Chiropractic group titled Don't Crack Your Neck!.

Hypermobility versus clinical instability: With hypermobility, ligamentous laxity can produce tight, achy muscles and may lead to early onset of arthritis. Instability, on the other hand, can be a serious, even life-threatening condition. It usually results from significant trauma or from certain diseases like rheumatoid arthritis (not the degenerative type of arthritis otherwise referred to on this page). In clinical instability, the excessive motion of the vertebrae can cause pressure on nerves and the spinal cord leading to serious neurological problems. Hypermobility is not clinical instability. Furthermore, a person with a hypermobile spine does not usually go on to develop clinical instability.

• They can say what they like about Cracking but I will never stop.

Don't you hate it when people say you will get arthritis when it has not even been proven. They say all that has been proven is having less grip as there was a test on 500 crackers but like the website said, I wont be signing any multi-million baseball contracts.

Rob

• Yeh but that doesn't mean that because it didn't affect 500 people, it won't affect another 1000 people. It depends what they crack, how frequently, how much force is exerted to crack the joint and the method of cracking the joint.

• Yeah, I think there have been arguments for and against it.

• I was told to keep doing it, hypermobility was better than hypomobility.

• @Requiem:

I was told to keep doing it, hypermobility was better than hypomobility.

what's the difference?

• @bod8:

@Requiem:

what's the difference?

Hypermobile - too loose. Your joints sound like rice krispies and you can bend them in strange directions.

Hypomobile - too tight. Restricted movement, pain.

• And even better if you don't have either 😛

• @Requiem:

@bod8:

@Requiem:

what's the difference?

Hypermobile - too loose. Your joints sound like rice krispies and you can bend them in strange directions.

Hypomobile - too tight. Restricted movement, pain.

i think i'm somewhere in the middle of those two actually :?

• Yeh that would mean you are ok :?

• still have cracks though 😎

• Because you trained them.

• I disagree with the evidence.

It completely contradicts what it says. It states that reduced movement is obtained. However, when a joint is clicked, the golgi tendons stimulate and allows abnormal movement, which one may aruge is temporary, however excessive stretching leads to the stretching being normal..

Like a person with 50/80 blood pressure, quite abnormal. However for the person, having been like it all their life, it is perfectly normal.

• What should your blood pressure be?

Yes you can move more after you have cracked but also before.